25 February, 2012

Creating the Studio (Part 1)

This could possibly be my favorite room in the house... Ok, not really as I love the entire house equally, but I do get to design this room the way I want with no approval from my Love. So its definitely a bonus on it's part.

My first set of jobs were pretty easy. Just a little muscle work from my Love (as I'm still recovering from surgery), a hammer & drill, and a box cutter to get the room prepped for its new makeover! 

Because we were not really focusing on this room at first, it has become a bit of a storage room. Sure some of the stuff in there belongs there, but the rest doesn't and was organized as we cleaned.

We then pulled the closet doors, frame, and shelf down. We also removed the "random shelf". We will be saving all the shelf pieces for later, but the closet doors are being put in the attic in the mean time 'til we can decide what we will do with them. 


Then the carpet... Oh that lovely carpet. BE GONE!! 


Haha I couldn't resist! Wish that really happened.

My studio just went absolutely random! The painted concrete was definitely something that I did not expect! I do enjoy goofy little surprises, but I have to admit, after talking with the guy at Home Depot, I'm liking this surprise less and less.

The upside : we had to get a belt sander *YAY more tools!!!*

Because the floors were already painted, it took quite a bit of extra work to prep for a good layer of epoxy coating. First I had to make sure that all the concrete chips were pulled up (these came from the tacks when I was pulling up the carpet tack board) as well any peeling paint.
But during this little venture, I found that the baseboard had been epoxied not only to the floor, but painted with it as well. This again messed with the plans as it is too much work to clean up the globbed mess. So off went the baseboard.

Then it was time to whip out the belt sander. And sand the entire floor. Yeah, a bit daunting. Lucky for you, you don't have to do it! Haha.

I like to work in steps, keeping everything dirty, clean, and new all at the same time. So I did all the dirty work first.

Overall just the prepping of the floor took roughly 16.5 hours. Yeah... I'm soooo glad its done!




Cheers~


1 comment:

Ma said...

I am so proud of my power chick Missygirl! You are amazing! Look what you have accomplished so recently out of surgery! Huge accomplishment honey. Your tenacity is awe-inspiring!
xoxoxo Ma