28 February, 2012

Creating the Studio (Part 2)

A time limit has been set for me and my studio. One I don't mind to say the least, but I already have a couple orders in and I don't have anything ready. So pressure is on!

After all the troublesome work on the floors, I was definitely ready for a change of pace. Next up: cleaning. TSP: Trisodium phosphate is the best! Because I need a good surface for the epoxy to adhere to, I not only used the TSP on the walls, but on the floors. Even though I already sanded the floors I feel it best to allow the TSP to remove any leftover gloss. Can never hurt to prep twice.

But before I could paint, I have to do all my repair work. The tabs from the closet doors took some chunks out so out came the mud. Some simple spackle filled the nail and screw holes that were scattered about the walls. 

Then came the primer. I used it for this room and not the guest bedroom because the existing color is darker than the new one. If I do not primer first, then the darker colors will show through, requiring multiple coats to cover it up.

Because I mudded the same day I primed, I cannot paint over it. The mud needs 24 hours to dry before any paint can be applied. So those spots will have to wait until the following day. 



 After much debate, I finally decided to paint the walls first. It took a while to decide on a color. I had actually picked a color out on the oops paint rack, but it didn't come out the way I thought it would. So back to the swatch isle...

And this is the color that was selected! :)



 I have to admit, it was nice not having to worry about the base board. It made recoloring the room so much easier!


While the walls dried, I painted the floors.

I used Behr 1-part epoxy concrete and garage floor paint which can be purchased from Home Depot for $32. You can have it colored to any shade of your choice. It is super easy to use, doesn't require a sealer, and is very easy to maintain. Although the dry time was a bit of a drag (72 hours before furniture can be brought in).

Before I finished off the first layer of floor paint and closed the door to the room so everything can dry undisturbed I snapped a picture... What do you think?



Not too shabby, huh?

Cheers~

No comments: